Each hostel in the HI network follows a set of guidelines for a safe, comfortable experience and enjoyable stay.
- A photo ID is required at check-in.
- HI membership is required of all guests. Guests without a membership have the option of either purchasing a full annual membership, or a temporary membership for the duration of their stay.
- Neither HI hostels nor hostel managers assume responsibility for theft or loss of personal property on hostel premises.
- Hostels primarily serve educational and recreational travelers and may uniformly choose not to accept guests who live in the immediate area.
- A parent, legal guardian or an adult leader of an organized group, such as a Scout troop, group or similar such organization, must accompany all hostel guests under 18 years of age.
- Respect and tolerance for other guests is expected.